ICWE 2008 - Call for Doctoral Consortium Papers
The ICWE Doctoral Consortium will take place in conjunction with the Eighth International Conference on
Web Engineering (ICWE 2008), to be held in New York, USA, from July 14 to 18, 2008. It aims to provide
PhD students an opportunity to discuss their research in Web Engineering in an international forum, and
with a panel of well-known experts in the field.
The aims of the Doctoral Consortium are to:
provide PhD students with a welcoming atmosphere to present their research,
receive useful feedback from senior researchers, and exchange ideas and experiences with
help PhD students develop their research questions, methodology and research plan
support a new generation of researchers
PhD students carrying out research in Web Engineering are invited to submit a position paper for the
Doctoral Consortium session, to be reviewed by the Consortium’s program committee. The criteria used
for accepting a paper include: potential quality of the research, contribution of the work to the field
of Web Engineering, originality of the work and overall quality of the position paper.
Submissions should describe PhD research that can still benefit from the feedback provided by the
experts’ panel. Thus, students who are currently working on, or have already prepared their PhD
proposals, and who are at least six months away from completing their PhD, are encouraged to submit
papers to the Consortium.
Accepted position papers will be presented during the ICWE 2008 conference, at the Doctoral Consortium
session. We also encourage students who are at the start of their PhD to attend the Doctoral Consortium
session since they can also benefit from the discussions that will take place during the session.
Submitted position papers must include: author’s name, affiliation, a 200 words abstract, and the name
of the student’s PhD supervisor(s). Submissions must not exceed five (5) pages, including references.
Position papers should be well-structured and should clearly specify:
- the problem(s) that the proposed research is going to solve, and the motivation for solving them
- the aims and objectives of the proposed research
- the research methodology to be used to achieve the research goals, including a brief description of the work done to date and a tentative plan for future work
- the main contribution(s) of the research to Web Engineering
Please include a letter of recommendation from your PhD supervisor(s).
The submission format
(IEEE CS Press formatting style guidelines using 8.5" x 11", Two-Columns format)
is the same as for research papers and accepted position papers will be published in the conference proceedings. However, position papers are limited to a maximum of five pages.
- Submission of Doctoral Consortium Papers: March 10, 2008 (23:59 Hawaii Time)
- Notification of Doctorial Consortium Paper acceptance: April 3, 2008
- Doctoral Consortium camera-ready versions: April 18, 2008
ICWE 2008 Doctoral Consortium Chair
Emilia Mendes, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Doctoral Consortium Program Committee
- Piero Fraternali, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- Geert-Jan Houben, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium
- Nora Koch, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, München, Germany
- David Lowe, University of Technology Sydney, Australia
- Luis Olsina, Universidad Nacional de la Pampa, Argentina
- Oscar Pastor, Universidad Politecnica de Valencia, Spain
- Gustavo Rossi, Universidad Nacional de la Plata, Argentina
Doctoral Consortium Submission Instructions
The submission site is now available at
Submission to the Doctoral Symposium implies the willingness to subscribe to and participate
in the event for presenting the submitted work. Final versions of accepted position papers must
strictly adhere to the IEEE CS Press formatting style guidelines using 8.5" x 11", Two-Columns
format and must include a printable final (camera ready) version file and all source files.
No changes to such formatting rules are permitted. Authors of accepted position papers must also
download and sign a copyright form that will be made available on the conference Website.